Appeal to stay safe after woman in her 80s hospitalised following electric blanket fire on Ynys MônPosted
Kevin Jones, Head of Prevention for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, is appealing to the community to keep themselves, family, friends and neighbours safe after smoke alarms alerted firefighters to a fire involving an electric blanket at a bungalow in Gwalchmai, Ynys Môn last night.
Crews from Holyhead and Rhosneigr attended the bungalow after the control room was alerted through the ‘Galw Gofal’ smoke alarm system at 19:00hrs on Sunday, December 3rd.
Firefighters attended and led the woman to safety, before administering first aid. She was later taken to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.
Kevin said: “This is a great example of how smoke alarms really can save lives. The Galw Gofal system alerted our control room, and crews were sent directly to this lady’s home.
“Our firefighters worked quickly and effectively to reach the lady and carry her to safety, before tackling the fire involving an electric blanket in the bedroom.
“Last month we launched our ‘Look after each other this Christmas’ campaign – asking everyone to check that their potentially vulnerable family, friends or neighbours have working smoke alarms fitted as well as checking on their wellbeing. You can read more here.
“This incident involves an electric blanket- it’s so important that electrical items such as electric blankets are regularly checked by a qualified electrician. You can view more advice on safe use of electric blankets here.
“With more and more electrical items being used in the home, we find that a substantial number of the fires we attend now involve electrical items. Today saw Electrical safety first launch their Electrical Fire Safety week, which gives advice on using Electrical items safely over the Christmas period – you can read more here https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/christmas.”