BSL Used Here BSL Used Here

Electrical safety warning following Abergele fire


North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is warning the public about the dangers of electrical fires following a fire in Abergele on Wednesday, August 20.

Two crews from Rhyl, crews from Colwyn Bay and Prestatyn, the Technical Rescue Unit from Wrexham and the Aerial Ladder platform from Rhyl were called to the property on Ffordd Y Morfa, Abergele at 11.02hrs.

Hose reel jets and breathing apparatus were used to tackle the fire, which had spread into the roof space, and the fire was under control by 13.13hrs.

Properties either side of the house affected were evacuated. Five casualties were transferred to hospital by ambulance for precautionary checks.

The cause of the fire is thought to be electrical, and originated in the bedroom of the property.

Tony Jones from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Electricity
is often overlooked as a fire hazard, perhaps because there is no flame but
just because there is no flame, doesn't mean there's no risk - never
underestimate the risk of fire from electricity.

Here are Tony's top electrical safety tips:

● Keep electrical appliances clean and in good working
order and have them serviced regularly

● Never buy an electrical appliance without knowing it is safe to use

● New appliances should have the British or European safety mark on them

● Do not leave electrical appliances on standby, unless they are designed to be
left switched on (fridges and freezers for example). All other appliances
should be turned off at the plug, and ideally unplugged, before going out or
going to bed

● Get your electrical system checked by a competent, registered electrician at
least once every 10 years

● Always make sure you uses an RCD with electrical garden tools to protect

from an electric shock or even electrocution

● Don't overload sockets - use one plug in each socket.

- Use a 'bar-type' fused adaptor on a lead, rather than a 'block-type' adaptor.

- Don't allow the total amps of all plugs in the adaptor to add up to more than

13 amps (or 3000 watts of power).

- Don't plug adaptors into adaptors - use one adaptor in each socket.

Tony also advises that you check electrical leads and plugs for wear and tear and faulty wiring and if you notice hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow for no reason, flickering lights, and scorch marks on sockets or plugs he recommends asking a qualified electrician to check your wiring.

He added: "For the protection of you and your family, make sure you have at least one smoke alarm on each floor of your home and that it is tested regularly.

"Also, in this incident, cylinders were stored in the bedroom  - gas cylinders should be stored in safe areas away from the house,and kept away from heat sources.

"North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offer free home fire safety checks to all residents in North Wales. This service covers all aspects of home fire safety including the provision and placing of smoke alarms, the importance of having a clear escape route from your home, electrical safety and night time routines.

"To find out more about fire safety and have free smoke alarms fitted in your home, register for a free home fire safety check by visiting or call our 24 hour hotline free on 0800 169 1234."

Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.


Thank you for your request