BSL Used Here BSL Used Here

Why Do I Need a Risk Assessment

When do I need a risk assessment?

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies to virtually all premises and covers nearly every type of building, structure or open space.

For example, it applies to:-

- Offices and shops
- Premises that provide care, including care homes and hospitals
- Community halls, places of worship and other community premises
- The shared areas of properties in which several households live in (housing laws may also apply)
- Pubs, clubs and restaurants
- Schools and sports centres
- Tents and marquees
- Hotels (including guest houses and small B&Bs) and hostels
- Factories and warehouses

The legislation does not apply to people's private homes, including individual flats in a block or house.

A fire risk assessment needs to be carried out in all premises where the legislation applies.

After carrying out of the risk assessment, the significant findings (including the measures which have been or will be taken) must be recorded in the following circumstances:-

- When the premises is a workplace and employs five or more employees
- When the premises has a licence (under an enactment) in force - e.g. Premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003
- If an Alterations Notice has been issued on the premises under the legislation

Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.


Thank you for your request