Tips to help keep residents fire safe:
- Check any heating appliances are in good working order and not subject to a product recall by checking the Office for Product Safety and Standards website for any alerts or recalls.
- Ensure flammable items such as furniture and drying clothes are placed well away from heaters and fires.
- Ensure you use the correct fuel for woodburning stoves and open fires –to reduce the risk of toxic fumes, chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.
- If you have an open fire, please ensure that you use a guard around it, to help prevent any material igniting a fire in your home and to keep children and pets away from it.
- Avoid buying fake and counterfeit electrical goods, which may cause electrical fires.
- If your smoke alarm does not appear to be working and you have checked the batteries, please arrange for it to be replaced or repaired.
- Check your escape routes, make sure they are clear from clutter and items such as portable heaters are not blocking them.
- If possible don’t skip servicing of boilers and gas appliances by a Gas Safe engineer to prevent gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Landlords must arrange for an annual gas safety check in rented accommodation.
- If you’re a homeowner check your energy provider’s website for information about their Priority Services Register – if you’re eligible they often offer a free annual gas safety check along with other support.
To request a Safe and Well Check:
Call 0800 169 1234, text 07507303678 or click here.