Importance of smoke alarms highlighted following electrical fire on Ynys MônPosted 28/01/2019 15:12:21
The importance of smoke alarms is being highlighted again after two women had a lucky escape from a fire at a property in Llanfair yn Neubwll, Ynys Môn in the early hours of this morning.
Crews from Rhosneigr and Holyhead were called to the two storey property at Bryn Trewan, Llanfair yn Neubwll at 03.45hrs this morning (Monday 28th January).
The occupants were alerted to the fire by smoke alarms and escaped unharmed.
The fire is thought to have been electrical involving a fuse box.
Mike Owen from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Undoubtedly we could have been dealing with another tragedy here in North Wales had the property not been fitted with working smoke alarms.
“It's important to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.
"This incident also highlights the danger of electrical fires- they can strike anytime, anywhere. We would appeal to residents to ensure that areas housing electrical items such as fuse boxes are kept clear of rubbish, papers or other combustible materials which could aid fire spread.
"In addition, there are some simple steps you can take to help prevent an electrical fire in your home. They include:
- DON'T overload plug sockets
- DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
- DO Unplug appliances when not in use
- DO Keep appliances clean and in good working order.”