Family of four hospitalised following fire in their home

Posted 02/02/2019 17:38:52

A family of four all required hospital treatment following a fire in their Gwernymynydd home in the early hours of this morning thought to be caused by a fridge.

 

Crews from Mold and Buckley were called to a property at Godre’r Coed, Gwernymynydd, near Mold at 00.59hrs this morning (Saturday February 2nd).

 

Firefighters used four breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to tackle the fire. Two adults and two children were transferred to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

 

There were no working smoke detectors in the property, and the cause of the fire is thought to be involving a fridge in the kitchen area.

 

Tim Owen from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said:

“This family were extremely lucky to have awoken and to escaped with their lives – smoke alarms are vital to give an early warning signal of a fire in your home.

 

“It is so important to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.

 

"This incident also highlights the danger of electrical fires- they can strike anytime, anywhere. We have recently launched an All Wales ‘White goods safety’ campaign, which highlights the importance of using everyday white goods safely.

 

"In addition, there are some simple steps you can take to help prevent an electrical fire in your home. They include:
- DON'T overload plug sockets
- DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
- DO Unplug appliances when not in use
- DO Keep appliances clean and in good working order.

 

“For more information on White goods safety please visit our website – www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk.”

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.

Done

Thank you for your request

Done