Cooking fire spark safety warningPosted 25/06/2018 09:51:11
Crews from Colwyn Bay and Llandudno were called to a kitchen fire at a flat on Llaneililan Road, Old Colwyn at 9.20pm on Saturday the 23rd June 2018. The fire was caused by radiated heat from the cooker after the hob was turned on instead of the oven.
One male casualty was taken to hospital suffering from burns to hands and smoke inhalation and one female was given a precautionary check up at the scene for smoke inhalation.
The incident was brought under control by 10.44pm and four crews wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reel water jets to extinguish the fire.
Kevin Jones, Community Safety Manager, said: “Time and time again we attend house fires which have started in the kitchen – it is so easy to forget your cooking, especially if you are tired, distracted or have been drinking. However, the consequences can be devastating. In this incident the hob was turned on instead of the oven – don’t leave anything on the hob even when turned off.
"Smoke alarms save lives. The early warning provided by a smoke alarm can provide vital minutes to help them escape unharmed. Ensure that you maintain your smoke alarm by testing it once a week.
Top tips for safety in the kitchen:
- If you leave the room take the cooking off the heat
- Don't use matches or lighters to light gas cookers. Spark devices are safer
- Always make sure that any handles are turned away from the edge of the cooker
- Keep the over, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
- Never hang anything to dry above the cooker
- Take care if you are wearing loose clothing as it can easily catch fire
- When you've finished cooking make sure everything is turned off
- Turn off electrical appliances when they are not being used
- Never use a chip pan - use a thermostatically controlled deep far fryer
- Never cook after drinking- get a takeaway instead
- Get fitted with smoke alarms - they are free of charge and could save your life.