‘Get out, stay out’ advice highlighted after inquest into Denbigh fire

Posted 11/05/2018 11:57:30

The inherent risks of re-entering a burning property were highlighted following an inquest into the tragic fire which occurred in Denbigh last year and which claimed the life a 54 year old woman.

Janet Jones died en route to hospital after firefighters rescued her from a fire in her first floor flat at Tan y Graig, Denbigh at 15.26hrs on Saturday 5th August 2017.

The inquest today (111th May) concluded her death was accidental.

Two fire appliances were mobilised to the incident from St Asaph and Rhyl and the Welsh Ambulance Service also attended. Crews were confronted with a well-developed fire and the flat was heavily smoke logged.

A subsequent investigation conducted by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and North Wales Police concluded that the cause of the fire was most probably due to an electrical fault following the overloading of electrical sockets.

Speaking after the inquest, Senior Fire Safety Manager Kevin Roberts said: “This was a tragic incident and our deepest sympathies go out to Janet’s family and friends.

 

“Sadly, a number of factors, coupled with her own vulnerability, coincided to contribute to her death.

 

“I am confident that we as a Service had provided the appropriate level of fire cover on that afternoon as regards the predicted risk. However we have since carried out a thorough investigation into what happened which has led to an improved understanding of events and I would like to provide reassurance that we have already made changes to address a number of  issues concerned to reduce the risk of a similar situation happening again.

 

“In the year leading up to this tragic event, North Wales Fire and Rescue Service staff persevered in multiple attempts to engage with Janet to keep her safe in her own home. Anyone involved in a fire can very quickly be overcome by the effects of smoke and we would encourage people to get out and stay out - never attempt to tackle a fire yourself or go back into a building affected by a fire.

 

“A working smoke alarm will provide an early warning and in the event of fire it is vitally important for all to vacate the property - and having a practiced escape plan is crucial.”

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.

Done

Thank you for your request

Done