Woman escapes fire in her Colwyn Bay home

Posted 27/04/2018 15:02:35

A Fire Officer is highlighting the importance of taking care with open fires and the fitting and maintaining of smoke alarms after a woman was carried to safety from her Colwyn Bay home this afternoon.

 

Crews from Colwyn Bay, Llandudno and Abergele were called to reports of a fire in the living room of the property on Sunningdale Avenue, Colwyn Bay at 12.23hrs this afternoon (Friday 27th April).

 

One of the occupants, a woman in her 80s was sitting in the living room at the time of the fire.

 

She called 999 and was carried to safety by crews.

 

The fire is believed to have been caused by a piece of coal falling from the open fire.

 

Dave Roberts from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said:

 

“This fire highlights just how important is to take care with open fires, and to ensure fire guards are used at all times.

 

 “Smoke alarms really do save lives.  Early warning of a fire is so important – this lady was in the room of origin and so was able to call 999 immediately – but had she been elsewhere in the house, the smoke alarms would have made her aware of the fire.

 

 “Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible."

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.

Done

Thank you for your request

Done