Welcome from the Chief Fire Officer

Be a safe cook!

More fires start in the kitchen than in any other room in the home. For this reason, I’m appealing to all residents to keep an eye on your cooking and avoid drunken disasters at the stove.

The six nations rugby tournament kicks off this month, and with many fans enjoying the game over a few pints in the pub or a couple of cans in the comfort of their armchair, I feel it’s timely for me to issue an important reminder about the dangers of cooking after drinking.

Time and time again our firefighters are called to house fires in the region which have started after residents have become distracted in the kitchen or have lost concentration after a drink, with serious and sometimes tragic consequences.

 

Cooking and drinking simply don’t mix

Remember, cooking and drinking simply don’t mix – you can avoid a recipe for disaster by making yourself a sandwich before enjoying a drink or simply getting a take away instead. This really could save your life.

Also, with important dates like Valentines Day, National Chip Week and Shrove Tuesday this month, I know that many of you will be hoping to demonstrate your cooking skills.

 

Stand by your pan!

 An important mantra to repeat when cooking is ‘Stand by your pan!’ – if you leave the room, remove the pan from the heat. A fire can start alarmingly quickly and spread from a small blaze to a life threatening one within a matter of minutes. When you have finished cooking, make sure that all the appliances are turned off and the cooking area is clear.

One example of the consequences of cooking left unattended was a fire in a flat in Caernarfon last July, where the occupant had to receive treatment for smoke inhalation. Thankfully he was alerted by smoke alarms – otherwise, the outcome could have been much worse. You can read more about this fire here.

It is also all too easy to turn appliances on accidentally – one man was hospitalized and a woman received precautionary checks after a fire in their Old Colwyn home last June. The fire was caused by radiated heat from the cooker after the hob was turned on instead of the oven. Read more about this incident here.

 

 

 

 

Read more here

Latest news

Read more news

We are now recruiting

Read more

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.

Done

Thank you for your request

Done