Caernarfon Fire Station
E-mail: To email the station click on the following links:
Caernarfon is a day crewed wholetime station with two wholetime watches (Blue and Red) and one Retained Duty System (RDS) watch.
Sites of Risk:
Shell Gas (LPG distribution Centre)
Welsh Highland Railway ( Caernarfon to Rhyd Ddu)
Cibyn Industrial Estate
The Royal Town of Caernarfon has a long history of fire fighting. The first organised firefighters would have been the Roman Legionnaires that were garrisoned at Segontium Fort, situated on the outskirts of the town.
The first fire engine was purchased in 1670, after much of the old town was lost to a major conflagration
To this day ancient by-laws make it an offence to have a chimney fire within the old town.
The "Curfew Bell" is still rung at 8pm every day to remind the town's people that the town gates were to be shut and that residents were to cover their fires "Curfew". This order was issued by William the Conqueror and it was the first recorded fire prevention legislation thatBritainhad.
The current fire station was built in 1963 as the headquarters station for the Caernarfonshire fire and ambulance service. The old ambulance station was demolished in 1995, and a new building was erected, which now houses North Gwynedd Headquarters.