Abergele Fire Station
Tel: 01745 832222
Abergele is a Retained Duty System (RDS) station.
RDS firefighters are skilled individuals who do ordinary jobs and offer evening, daytime and/or weekend cover.
Geographical Area covered:
Abergele to Tywyn up to Llanddulas and Rhydyfoel. Over to St George, Moelfre, Llanfair Talhaiarn and Llansannan.
Sites of Risk:
Chest Hospital, Penysarn Flats and Kimnel Hall.
Established as a municipal fire brigade in 1901 by Abergele Urban District Council. Previously, firefighters at Abergele used horses and manual pump equipment.
In 1909, Abergele were re-named Abergele and Pensarn Fire Brigade, and then went on to become part of The National Fire Service in 1941. Further changes came in 1948 when they became part of Denbighshire and Montgomeryshire Joint Fire Service, changing to Clwyd Fire Service in 1974 and then the North Wales Fire Service in 1996.
The original station was at Pentre Mawr Park Abergele, with the present station being opened in September 1971.
Work in the community:
Abergele Station hold an annual car wash to raise funds for the Fire Fighters Charity, and at Christmas time, prepare food hampers for all the retired firefighters in the area.
In the early 1990's, the station raised thousands through a charity ladder climb organised by the crew and former firefighter Eddie Watt. The money raised was used to fund treatment inAmericafor a local young cancer sufferer, who is still alive and well today.